“Suffering should not make us bitter people,’ my mother once said, ‘it should make us better comforters.’ Young people need to hear this from those who have walked before them, because someday they’ll be walking those same steps, but there may not be anyone following behind”.
By Billy Graham
The simple activity of walking has so many astonishing health benefits. Walking may be one of the best and free medicines available to mankind. It can help to improve your metabolism and lower risk of joint pain, type2 diabetes, heart disease, lower blood pressure, and cholesterol levels, and even improve your memory power.
Yes, it does increase the life span. Make walking a part of your daily life. The following tips will help you to develop the habit of walking –
Make a routine-
It’s is difficult to walk 30 to 60 minutes in the beginning. Start with 15 minutes per day, look for a short route from your house to a nearby garden or market. Day by day gradually build up to longer sessions. Make it a goal to reach 60 minutes walk, by the end of the 30th day. To improve your habit of walking always use the walk to your local market, take the stairs as much as possible.
Dressing really well-
Never compromise with a neat and clean dress and pair of comfortable shoes. It will not only increase your interest in walking but also save you from the bad smell, foot injuries.
To make Walking more interesting and fun –
- Schedule a regular walk with your spouse.
- To spend quality time and to develop a healthy habit ask your children or grand-children to accompany you.
- The best way to develop this walking habit, ask neighbors or friends.
- Join a laughter club at a nearby park so that you will get the double benefit of laughing and making more friends walk along with you.
- if they would like to join you on your walks. Think of starting a walking group.
Buy a Puppy –
If, you are an animal lover then nothing better than walking with your puppy. Every animal needs regular exercise and your dog will motivate you to walk every day. But, if you are planning to walk in a park, check first to the rules and regulations.
Walking is free of cost and a safe way to rejuvenate yourself, but always choose the safest side-
- Before starting your walk schedule meet a healer to check-up your fitness.
- If you have any health issues then ask for doing and don’ts.
- Wear comfortable clothes, and well-fitted shoes to avoid any sort of discomfort while walking.
- Carry a walking stick or umbrella along with a water bottle.
- Stand tall. It is difficult to breathe properly if lean forward or hunch then extend your spine and keep your body straight to avoid this problem.
- Always look up, keep your gaze around 10 feet in front of you. Because looking down towards your feet will create unnecessary stress on your nape.
- Never forget to drink fluids before and after your walk session.
How does walking increase lifespan? Surprising benefits of walking-
Burn calories –
Walking is easy and simple; anybody can fit into his/her daily routine. You will burn more calories if you cover the bigger distance you walk. As per studies, a 200-pound person can burn 100 calories by walking a mile. If you looking to lose some weight then a calorie calculator can help you/guide you depending on your weight and height.
Improves heart health-
Regular walking improves cardiovascular fitness. It is one of the best exercises for heart health, as it helps to reduce your cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and improves blood circulation in the body. As you walk, take a larger-than-normal step and at the same time move your hands in front and back direction in co-ordination with your respective legs. These movements will give extra massage to the muscles of your lung and increase exchanges of oxygen and carbon dioxide.
Walking can reduce your risk of chronic disease-
A number of chronic diseases are a major cause of heart stroke or heart failure. As per a recent study, nearly 7 million adults die every year due to reduced blood circulation and weak lungs to pump an adequate amount of blood to all parts of the body. Walking not only exercises the lung muscles but it also activates calf muscles also known as second heart muscle, which helps to re-circulate blood from the lower limbs- back to the heart.
Eases joint pain –
Pain inside the knees or any other joint is a common problem with the older people. With every passing year, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons lose their strength and develop stiffness which is the major cause of osteoarthritis. Walking is a simple exercise than other forms of exercise to increase the elasticity of cartilage and to ease joint pain which brings a serious mental problem to a person.
Boosts immune function-
Studies show regular walking helps to boost the immune system by stimulating metabolism and by burning more calories. Researchers have found that people who walk regularly five days a week maintain a strong respiratory system and are less likely to suffer from problems related to the upper respiratory tract. The following guidelines are helpful to build an effective walking program-
- Walk for at least 45 minutes a day.
- Fix your mind to walk 5 times per week.
- Make a goal to walk 10,000 steps a day.
- Develop a habit to increase 300-500 steps every day.
Read more about challenging walking programs-
Whether you want to boost your metabolism, improve your fitness, burn calories, improve your mood, or tone your muscles, walking is a simple and no-cost option for every individual. As per the latest research, sitting throughout the day is much more harmful to your lungs and gut than smoking 10 cigarettes a day.
Walking is the cheapest way to maintain your overall health. So, get up from your bed or couch and make a goal to walk a minimum of 45 to 60 minutes a day. Regardless of the body mass index (BMI), your walking habit will improve your digestion system, circulatory system, and cardiovascular system and will reduce the risk of joint pain, diabetes, heart attack, and many more health disorders. And thus, walking will surely increase your lifespan
“Does Walking Increase Lifespan? – Would love to know your thoughts, please comment”.